Fremantle 7-104 (cc) (Sutton 35, Collova 25, Cattrall 3-26) defeated by Wanneroo 4-105 (Spoors 47no, Van Der Merwe 20, Miles 2-21), Stevens Reserve West.
 Wanneroo kicked off its 2017-18 season in style, with a commanding six-wicket win over Fremantle in a reduced-overs match. It was a tough start for Fremantle, losing opener Jordan Buller and Matthew Micale in quick succession to be 2-18, before captain Brayden Sutton entered the game and steadied the ship alongside Anthony Collova, scoring 60 runs between them. Unfortunately for Fremantle, the resistance was short-lived, as the Wanneroo bowlers restricted and frustrated their batsmen into the low total of 104, with Jack Cattrall the pick of the bowlers with 3-26. Wanneroo then set about chasing the target and did so with relative ease. The Roos only seemed troubled when they lost Robert Richards for eight, but Matt Spoors kept the chase under control with a dominant and unbeaten 47 from 66.
Gosnells 132 (Green 34, Leipold 33, Kandiah 3-29) defeated by Mount Lawley 176 (Mouchemore 48, Kandiah 21, Horsman (4-40), Sutherlands Park.
Mount Lawley secured a strong 44-run win over Gosnells after overcoming a shaky start. The Hawks would have been wondering what was happening out in the middle after they were 2-1, before Oliver Mouchemore and Dylan Sharman dug their heels in to steady the middle order. Jakob Horsman (4-40) tried his best to stifle the scoring, but even No.10 Justin Kandiah was able to add a flurry to put Mount Lawley in a strong position. Ben Green and captain Matthew Leipold tried to build an innings to maintain the run chase, but wickets fell too consistently around them for Gosnells to get close enough to snatch victory. Kandiah, full of confidence from his batting performance, put the finishing touches on the match, taking 3-29 to give Mount Lawley a solid first-round victory.
Melville 7-182 (Towers 74no, Scollay 28, Rose 2-24) defeated Scarborough 181 (Maiolo 68, Boyle 26, Kerr-Sheppard 4-22), Tompkins Park.

Melville won a tight tussle against Scarborough by three wickets, with 13 balls to spare. Scarborough would have been feeling confident in defending its total, having scored a solid 181. However, with Nicholas Maiolo blasting 68 off 88, including seven fours, and Jeremy Boyle scoring 26, the total could have been bigger had it not been for Thomas Kerr-Sheppard taking 4-22, stifling Scarborough’s batsmen. Melville, sensing an opportunity, set about chasing down the solid total. Captain Luke Towers set the scene for the home side with a match-winning knock, as he belted an unbeaten 74 from 127, including four boundaries, and was ably supported by Tom Scollay as they chased down the total in the 47th over.

Midland Guildford 6-163 (Mast 62, Kirwan 38, Guthrie 2-21) defeated Perth 9-159 (cc) (Moreton 52, Snadden 34, Baker 5-32), Lilac Hill.

Midland Guildford enjoyed a solid four-wicket win over Perth in a rain-effected match on Saturday afternoon. Captain Christiaan Moir sent Perth in to bat, which turned out to be a positive decision as his bowlers set the pace for the day. Although the resistance was strong from the Perth batsmen, with Dain Moreton scoring a half century and Jake Snadden chiming in with 34, Baker did the damage with the ball for the home side, taking a five-wicket haul to set up the run chase. Jordan Mast and James Kirwan did the rest for Midland Guildford, as they scored 62 and 38 respectively to notch a first-round win for the club.

Rockingham Mandurah 131 (Pollock 51, Smith 23, O’Connor 3-18) defeated by Bayswater Morley 4-132 (Guy 37, Todd 36, Simmons 1-21), Lark Hill.

Rockingham Mandurah struggled to defend a small total as Bayswater Morley cruised to a six-wicket win. Although the start was solid for Rockingham Mandurah, wickets fell too easily around Ed Pollock, as he set about trying to save the innings with a strong half century (including six fours) on debut for the club. Josh Smith held the back end of the innings together admirably, but after Pollock was dismissed, they lost 5-27, giving them a tough target to defend. The Bears only had 131 to chase, but sometimes the smallest totals can be the trickiest and they lost Rhys Hampson early for four. However, Todd brothers Mitchell and Aaron, along with Robert Guy, steadied to score 30-plus runs each in an even but dominant batting display to score a strong first-up win for the club.

South Perth 181 (Guest 67, D’Silva 38, Holder 4-20) defeated Subiaco Floreat 120 (Lilly 29, Holder 24, Bevilaqua 3-25), Richardson Park.

South Perth started its season with a commanding 61-run victory over Subiaco Floreat on Saturday afternoon. Brandon Guest and Darius D’Silva starred with the bat for the home team, scoring 67 and 38 respectively as Holder did his best to contain South Perth’s strong batting line up with a strong bowling performance, taking 4-20. With a tall target of 181 to chase down, Subiaco Floreat started off shakily, losing 2-11 before Aaron Lilly and Andrew Holder came in to keep the runs ticking over. However, after they had departed, the tail-end collapsed in 5-19 and eventually fell 61 runs short of victory. Alex Bevilaqua did the damage for the home side with the ball, taking 3-25.

University 8-255 (cc) (Bosisto 97, Hope 67, Branston 3-46) defeated Joondalup 211 (Johnson 57, Morgan 55, Bosisto 5-54), James Oval.

University got its season off to a flyer, defeating Joondalup by 44 runs in a sensational high-scoring affair. Although University was 1-12 after losing Brendan Murray, Will Bosisto and Max Hope put their team back on track with a huge 125-run partnership, which included 16 fours and two sixes between the pair. It was a partnership that spurred their teammates on, as University finished with a dominant 8-255 from 46 overs, as Branston tried his best to contain the hard-hitting batsmen, taking 3-46. Although Joondalup started well, sitting at 5-165 with superb half centuries to Johnson and Morgan, their middle order and tailenders collapsed, losing 5-34, as Bosisto and Josh Dallimore ripped through the Joondalup batsmen to cap off an amazing performance.

Willetton 73 (Johnston 23, Biss 11, David 3-12) defeated by Claremont Nedlands 7-192 (cc) (Turkich 62, Morton 39, Hanna 4-33), Burrendah Reserve.

It was a challenging start to the season for Willetton, going down to Claremont Nedlands by 119 runs. Willetton would have been happy with their decision to send Claremont Nedlands in to bat, when the Tigers were sitting at 7-91, thanks largely to Matthew Hanna’s 4-33, until Daniel Turkich and Haydan Morton set about saving the innings. A huge 101 run partnership made something from nothing for the Tigers. With a big target to chase, the Willetton batsmen struggled to get anywhere near the total, with captain Matthew Johnston (23) and Stuart Biss (11) the only ones to reach double figures for the home side.