Claremont Nedlands 194 (Hobson 87, Allenby 45no, Larmett 3-34) defeated by Joondalup 260, 2-49 (J.Morgan 23no, G.Morgan 10, Hope 2-18), Cresswell Park

Joondalup has continued its brilliant form from day one, completing the upset on day two following a superb bowling performance. The Tigers returned to the crease at 3-3 under a huge amount of pressure. Nicholas Hobson and Tim David took the total to 32 before a host of big name Tigers failed to produce with the bat. With five middle order batsmen scoring 12 runs or under, Hobson played a stand-alone role, slowly pushing the total to 8-97. However, a small opportunity presented itself to the Tigers, as Hobson and number nine batsman James Allenby found some much needed runs. The pair were ticking the runs over nicely, boosting the score to 170 and giving the ladder-leaders a faint shot at victory. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Joondalup’s Brayden Thompson stopped the resurgence in its tracks, taking the prize wicket of Hobson after a tremendously hard-fought 87 from 153, leaving the Tigers on 9-170. Jake Zsilinszky took the final wicket of Christopher Simpson, as the Tigers were bowled out for 194, leaving their position on top of the ladder looking shaky. Joe Inglis and Harry Larmett did the damage with the ball for Joondalup, taking three wickets each as they tore through the Tigers’ middle order.

Melville 121, 9-98(cc) (Hay 26, Duffield 18, Tompsett 3-19) defeated by Bayswater Morley 2-170, 0-50 (Smithies 25no, Todd 22no), Tompkins Park

Bayswater Morley has thrown the finals into turmoil after a fantastic outright win over fourth-placed Melville. As the Bears had already wrapped up the first innings win on day one, they decided to throw down the gauntlet, sending Melville back in to bat straight away as they searched for their first outright win of the season. Luke Towers and Blake Reed managed to push the score to 23, before the Bears hit their stride. Towers was the first to go, caught by Aaron Todd off Jonty Wilde. Reed, Drew Porter and Matthew Wiley all fell in quick succession to Steve Tompsett without adding a run, as the Storm found themselves in dire straits at 4-23. Fraser Hay and Ryan Duffield attempted to add some value to the scoreboard, notching up a 44-run fifth-wicket partnership. However, once Hay was dismissed at 5-67, Melville’s middle order collapsed under the immense pressure from the Bears as the Storm lost its final four wickets (Tom Scollay retired hurt) for 31 runs, ending the innings on 9-98. With only 50 runs to chase for the outright win, Tim Smithies and Aaron Todd barely broke a sweat, hitting the total with ease after just 12.2 overs

Midland Guildford 183 (Critchell 106, Crudeli 50, McPhee 7-40) defeated by Fremantle 9-194 (Whiteman 68, McPhee 30no, Cassell 4-65), Lilac Hill

Fremantle have overcome a slow start to defeat Midland Guildford in a tight tussle. Starting the day at 2-34, Fremantle struggled its way to 5-79 as Sam Whiteman found some much-needed form with the bat. Whiteman continued to turn over the strike, as he and Daniel Kennedy pushed the total up to 112 after a morale-boosting 33-run partnership. Following Whiteman’s dismissal for 68, Kennedy and Chris Davenport put the match firmly in Fremantle’s hands, producing 35 runs during their seventh-wicket partnership, pushing the score to 7-147. With three wickets left in hand and only 37 runs need for victory, Davenport and the white-hot Jarryd McPhee added a further 33 runs, driving the score to 180 before McPhee and Zach Ferris scored the winning runs in the 74th over. Charlie Cassell did all he could to contain Fremantle, taking 4-65 in an impressive display.

Mount Lawley 289 (Newnham 87, Klinger 60, McCall 5-70) defeated Willetton 177 (Wilson 46, Brennan 44, Ijaz 3-10), Breckler Park 1

Willetton has failed to capitalise on its opportunity to pinch top spot, as Mount Lawley pulled off an incredible upset. Starting the day at 0-11 with a further 279 runs to chase, Willetton lost Stuart Biss and Will Rhodes in quick succession, sitting awkwardly on 2-19. Sean Brennan then entered the crease, attempting to anchor the innings as the Hawks began to take wickets with ease. Liam Purdy, Matt Dixon and Mohamed Ijaz started to find their form with the ball, frustrating Willetton’s batsmen with line and length, squeezing the Dragons to 7-102. With defeat looking imminent, Willetton finally found some resilience, with Sean Brennan and Brennan Wilson producing a much-needed 36-run partnership. However, the resistance was short lived, as Ijaz took out Brennan and Lagana to have the Dragons languishing on 9-138. Wilson and Aaron McCall drove the total to 177 before Ijjaz claimed Wilson with his third wicket of the match, securing the impressive win for the Hawks.

Rockingham Mandurah 333 (Ugle 118, Burrage 47, Calmy 5-102) defeated Perth 222 (Jury 86, Roberts 53, Coombs 4-50), Lark Hill

Perth are teetering on the edge of the top six after a comprehensive defeat to Rockingham Mandurah by 111 runs in the first innings. With a lofty total of 333 to chase down, the Demons found themselves in trouble early at 3-25 as Marnier’s bowler Matthew France ripped through Perth’s opening line up. However, captain Luke Jury and Sean Roberts steadied the ship for Perth, producing a masterful 101-run fourth wicket partnership. After Roberts was dismissed for 53, the Demons struggled throughout the middle overs, losing wickets a little too easily, as Craig Simmons and Leon Coombs attacked Perth’s middle order. At 6-175, Perth lost its last top order batsman in Luke Jury for a polished 86 runs, leaving the tail exposed for the Mariners to pounce on. The target proved too difficult to chase down for the tail, as Coombs and Simmons whipped through the lower order batsmen, bowling out the Demons for 222 and securing the first innings win. Coombs and France worked brilliantly in tandem for the Mariners, taking four and three wickets respectively from their combined 23 overs.

Scarborough 222(cc) (Knight 65no, Maiolo 52, Martin 5-47), 2-152 (Maiolo 100, Moylan 47, Lilly 1-14) defeated by Subiaco Floreat 9-341(cc) (How 106, Monteleone 79, Rose 4-99), Abbett Park East

Scarborough have fallen well short of Subiaco Floreat’s imposing day one total, suffering a first innings defeat by 119 runs. The Gulls started the run chase on fire, with Samuel Moylan and Luke McQuade belting out a 66-run opening stand before McQuade fell to Lion Lucas Martin. Moylan fell 10 runs later at 2-76, before Nicholas Maiolo and Liam Knight ramped up the run rate. The pair produced a prolific 75-run partnership, swinging the momentum of the match back in Scarborough’s favour. Maiolo’s day was eventually ended after a quick-fire 52 from 65, which included seven fours and three sixes. Although Scarborough were seemingly cruising at 3-151, disaster struck the home side, losing their next five wickets in the space of 38 runs. Lucas Martin took three of the five wickets through the middle of the innings, leaving Scarborough in a tough position on 8-189. With the match squarely in the Lions favour, Martin knocked over Ryan Knight to claim his fifth wicket of the day. Captain Chris Hansberry put Scarborough out of its misery, taking the final wicket at 222, securing the first innings win for Subiaco Floreat. With little time left in the day, Subiaco Floreat decided to enforce the follow on, with a small shot at an outright win. However, the result did not eventuate, as Maiolo blasted a phenomenal century from just 51 balls. The boundaries flowed freely for Maiolo, scoring a whopping 15 fours and four sixes, as he and Moylan boosted the total to 2-152 before the end of the day’s play.

University 8-247(dec) (O’Brien 56, Birrell 54, Leipold 3-69), 5-67 (Bosisto 22, Paver 17, Keverne-Onyon 3-30) defeated Gosnells 162, 152 (Leipold 39, Foster 26, Richards 3-19), James Oval

University has cemented its spot in the top six, defeating Gosnells in the first innings after an action-packed second day of play. University returned to the crease at 0-56, needing a further 107 runs for victory. After losing Sean Stuart at 1-65, Jay O’Brien and George Bartlett boosted the score to 117 after smashing out a quick-fire 52-run partnership. Following O’Brien’s runout for 56, Gosnells found itself with a small window of opportunity, as captain Matthew Leipold pounced on Bartlett and Will Bosisto, leaving University reeling on 4-132. However, Viv Paver and Matthew Birrell put the result beyond doubt, belting 90 runs in a dominant fifth wicket partnership as University soared past Gosnells total. With Birrell falling for 54, Paver continued to drive the back half of the innings, pushing the total to 8-247 before University declared, sending Gosnells back to the crease in an attempt to score an outright win. Gosnells second innings mirrored its first innings, struggling early at 2-23 before Leipold and David Roberts advanced the score to 3-81 after a 58-run stand. However, University’s bowlers managed to clamp down on Gosnell’s free-wheeling batsmen, taking the next six wickets in the space of 54 runs, as Will Bosisto and Bailey Richards ran wild. Brandon Jacobs was the final wicket to fall, with Gosnells all out for 152, leaving University with 68 runs to chase down for the outright victory. With only a small amount of time left, University’s batsmen swung hard at every delivery that came their way. With each batsman’s strike rate well over 100, University fell agonisingly close to claiming an outright victory, scoring 5-67 off just six overs. Aaron Kerverne-Onyon took three wickets in the action-packed final six overs, as University settled for a first innings win.

Wanneroo 147 (Nylander 36, Millar 22, Chellew 6-68) defeated South Perth 143 (Brown 29, Jones 28, Cattrall 6-45), Kingsway Sports Ground 1

Wanneroo have pulled off an amazing upset, defeating the third-placed South Perth by four runs in the first innings. South Perth started the day on 5-76, chasing a further 72 runs for victory. While the equation looked simple on paper, it proved to be slightly more difficult, as South Perth lost Brooke and Brandon Guest almost instantly, teetering on 7-78. With the match on the line, Alex Bevilaqua and Michael Bailey drove the total to 105, giving their side some life before Bevilaqua was dismissed. Chris Chellew then entered the crease, posting an important 31-run ninth-wicket stand with Bailey, as they boosted the score to 136. After Chellew was dismissed at 9-136, South Perth looked home, with only 12 runs remaining to score an important first innings victory, however, it was not to be, with the visitors falling 4 runs short of the Roos. Mathew Dzodzos took his third wicket of the day to wrap up the first innings win, with South Perth bowled out for 143. Jack Cattrall was enormous for the Roos, taking an amazing 6-45 off of his 33 overs. Wanneroo then came back to the crease, scoring 1-73 before the end of the day’s play.