Bayswater Morley 134 (Cameron 31, Loiacono 24, Dzodzos 3-24) defeated by Wanneroo 2-135(cc) (Spoors 51no, Johnston 50no, Jeffrey 1-25), Hillcrest Lower Oval

Bayswater Morley have lost any chance of a top six finish, falling to Wanneroo by eight wickets after the Roos produced a brilliant bowling display. After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Bears found themselves under immense pressure early at 3-14, as Jack Cattrall and Christopher Quelch took the opening three wickets. Jake Lewis and Tim Smithies managed to push the score to 40 before Matthew Dzodzos and Kyle Millar put the Bears under further pressure, taking the next two wickets as Bayswater Morley slumped to 5-42. However, the Bears finally put together a solid partnership through Ross Loiacono and Ryleigh Cameron. The pair added 52 runs during their sixth-wicket stand, driving the total to 6-94 as Cameron was run out for 31. With only a short amount of time left to score a defendable total, the Bears wilted further under the heat of the Roos, losing three quick wickets as the Bears sunk to 9-106. Captain Liam O’Connor and Ashley Jeffrey added 28 runs in a solid ninth-wicket partnership, giving their bowlers a very small total to defend as the Bears were bowled out for 134. Dzodzos ended the innings with 3-24 from his 10 overs, constantly providing a threat with the ball throughout the day. With a small total to chase down, the Roos appeared to be in trouble early, losing both openers at 2-31. However, that was the last time the Roos would be troubled in the match, as Jacob Johnston and Matthew Spoors destroyed the Bears’ bowling attack. The dynamic duo produced a superb 104-run partnership and each scored a half-century to win the game for the Roos, ensuring that Wanneroo would avoid the wooden spoon in season 2017-18.

Fremantle 6-253(cc) (Turner 101no, Davenport 40, Simmons 3-50) defeated Rockingham Mandurah 246 (Ugle 125, France 45, Ferris 2-46), Stevens Reserve West

Fremantle has ended its season on a high note, defeating Rockingham Mandurah by seven runs in an entertaining and high-scoring match. With nothing but pride on the line for both sides, Fremantle came to the crease with an air of freedom, showcased through Sam Whiteman and Jake Carder blasting a 72-run opening partnership. However, Dane Ugle came into the attack for the Mariners and promptly stemmed the flow of runs for Fremantle, taking out both openers as Fremantle fell to 2-98. Ashton Turner then came to the crease and found himself anchoring the innings for Fremantle, as he and Daniel Kennedy added 40 runs to boost the total to 138 before Kennedy was stumped. Turner continued punishing the Mariner’s bowlers, producing an 84-run partnership with Chris Davenport, as Fremantle sailed past 200. At 4-222, Braden Sutton came and went for two runs as Craig Simmons took his second wicket for the match. Turner and Matthew Micale finished the innings off for Fremantle, driving the score to 6-253 as Simmons claimed Micale for his third wicket. Turner finished the day with a brilliant unbeaten century, scoring his 101 runs from 92 balls, including one four and four sixes, showcasing his trademark running between the wickets. The Mariners then entered the crease, needing a positive start with such a sizable total to chase down. Unfortunately for the Mariners, the start was not quite as desired, losing early wickets to slump to 3-66. However, Dane Ugle, fresh from his second century of the season in Round 14, came to the crease and continued his brilliant form from last week. Ugle and Damien Burrage added 39 runs to the total before the Mariners suffered a middle order collapse, losing four wickets in the space of 35 runs to find themselves floundering at 7-140. Trailing by 113 runs with only three wickets in hand, the Mariners needed a miracle to come close to Fremantle’s total. That miracle came in the form of Ugle and Matthew France producing a sublime eighth-wicket partnership worth 94 runs. With the match seemingly in the Mariners favour, disaster struck, with Ugle run out by Jarryd McPhee after scoring an exhilarating 125 from 124 (including seven fours and six sixes), leaving the Mariners still with a small shot at victory at 8-234. Fremantle promptly wrapped up the tail, bowling the Mariners out for 246 to claim a seven-run victory.

Gosnells 173 (Roberts 59, Leipold 35, Knight 4-41) defeated Scarborough 169 (Rule 45, Hardy 40no, Prescott 3-36), Sutherlands Park 1

Gosnells have defeated Scarborough by four runs in an epic contest that came down to the wire. After being sent in to bat, Gosnells found the going tough early, falling to 3-52 as Scarborough’s Ryan Knight took two of the opening three wickets. However, a 75-run fourth-wicket partnership between David Roberts and captain Matthew Leipold looked to put Gosnells’ innings back on track. Unfortunately for the home side, the dismissal of Roberts for 59 runs triggered a monumental collapse at 4-127, as Gosnells lost its final six wickets for an astonishing 46 runs. Knight was the catalyst for the Gulls, taking another two wickets throughout the mayhem to end the day with figures of 4-41. Scarborough also had a solid input from Lachlan Tyler, Andrew Rule and Joshua Hollows, who took two wickets apiece in an impressive team display. With the smallish total of 173 to chase down, Scarborough started its run chase poorly, losing 5-51 as Matthew Leipold, Brodee Foster and Chris Prescott ripped through Gosnells’ opening line up. However, captain Andrew Rule and Lochie Hardy produced a magnificent 82-run sixth-wicket partnership to boost the total to 133. With only 40 runs left to chase and five wickets in hand, Scarborough looked to have the match sewn up. However, Rule was dismissed by David Roberts, while Joshua Hollows departed seven runs later, leaving the Gulls floundering on 7-138. Hardy and Cody Rose pushed the total to 151 before Prescott knocked over the tail, as Scarborough fell just four runs short of victory, bowled out for 169.

Joondalup 199 (Hinchliffe 56, Branston 32, Turner 3-24) drew with Melville 199 (Hay 45, Towers 40, Inglis 2-22), Iluka Sports Complex 1

Joondalup and Melville have fought out the first One Day draw of the season, as the Storm secured fifth spot on the ladder. After winning the toss and electing to bat, Luke Towers and Blake Reed shot out of the blocks with a 48-run opening partnership. Although Towers was stopped in his tracks on 40 by Joe Inglis, Reed continued on with Fraser Hay, driving the total to 63 before Clinton Hinchliffe had him out caught and bowled. Tom Scollay came and went shortly after, with the Storm struggling for consistency on 3-76, before Hay found a partner in Adam Voges. The pair swung the momentum back in the Storm’s favour with a fantastic 65-run partnership, propelling the total to 141. However, Joondalup halted the momentum with three quick wickets through Harry Larmett and Inglis, bringing Melville crashing back down to Earth at 6-151. Ryan Duffield made a nuisance of himself, as he Matthew Wiley and Brad Turner kept the tail wagging, pushing the score to 9-193 as Turner was dismissed. Inglis then ended the innings, taking out Thomas Kerr-Sheppard as Melville finished with a defendable 199. Joondalup responded well early, soaring to 2-72 after a 43-run second-wicket partnership to Garrick Morgan and Clinton Hinchliffe. Hinchliffe anchored the innings for Joondalup, as he and Josh Inglis added a further 32 runs to the total. However, at 3-104, following Inglis’s dismissal, Joondalup lost three wickets in the space of 31 runs, with Hinchliffe the last to fall after scoring a hard-fought 56. At 6-135, the equation became increasingly more difficult for Joondalup, needing a further 65 runs for victory with only four wickets left. Tim Zsilinszky and Josh Anderson added 18 runs to the score, giving Joondalup a fighting chance in the dying overs of the match. At 8-160, captain Michael Johnson and Simon Branston decided that the need for runs outweighed the value of their wicket and ran for everything they could. Their plan looked to get the desired result, before Johnson was run out at 9-177, leaving Branston and Harry Larmett to chase the final 23 runs. Branston and Larmett continued to scurry between the wickets, eventually drawing equal on 199. However, the final run for victory was thwarted by Melville’s Fraser Hay and Matthew Wiley, who combined to run out Branston and ensured the teams were deadlocked on 199 on the final ball of the day.

Perth 6-162 (Jury 74no, Wells 32, Dixon 2-24) defeated Mount Lawley 158 (Sharman 58no, Beaton 39, Calmy 3-20), Fletcher Park East

Perth have secured fourth spot on the ladder after accounting for Mount Lawley by four wickets. After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Hawks lost openers James Newnham and Michael Klinger cheaply, struggling at 2-18 early in the innings. However, Tom Beaton and Ethan Petta steadied the ship for the Hawks producing 46 runs during their third-wicket partnership. Although the match seemed to be back on an even keel, Perth struck back quickly through Kyle Gardiner, Jacob Van Galen, and Alex Calmy, putting the hawks on the ropes at 7-119. Dylan Sharman and Mohamed Ijaz found some late innings form, adding 27 runs to boost the total to 8-146. However, Gardiner promptly wrapped up the tail, finishing the innings with three wickets as he helped bowl out the Hawks for 158. Calmy and Van Galen were also dangerous throughout the match for Perth, taking three and two wickets respectively, while Sharman ended the day unbeaten on 58 for the Hawks. With a smallish total to chase down, Perth set themselves to chase down the total with a minimum of fuss, quickly marching to 79 after Luke Jury and Jonathon Wells’ second-wicket partnership worth 61 runs. Following Wells’ dismissal at 2-79, Dain Moreton came and went 12 runs later, as the Hawks tried to assert themselves on the game. Sean Roberts did not fare much better, scoring 18 runs before Matt Dixon claimed his second wicket at 4-115. Although wickets were starting to fall quicker and quicker, Jury remained focussed, keeping the score ticking along. After Josh Nicholas was dismissed at 6-144, Van Galen joined Jury at the crease, where the pair chased down the remaining runs with ease.

Subiaco Floreat 160 (Murphy 41, Hansberry 30, Crudeli 6-28) defeated by Midland Guildford 3-161 (Thomas 64no, Kirwan 30, Hart 1-12), Floreat Park Oval

Subiaco Floreat have lost to Midland Guildford by seven wickets, losing any hope of playing finals in season 2017-18. With a slim chance of finishing in the top six, the Lions needed a strong start to the match. However, it was Midland Guildford’s Julian Crudeli who started the match in red-hot form, ripping through the Lions top order batsmen and taking the first four wickets of the match to have the Lions sitting shakily on 4-31. Anthony Murphy, however, remained calm throughout the opening carnage, as he and Joshua Parker scored 47 much-needed runs during their fifth-wicket partnership. Thomas Gosling struck back quickly for Midland Guildford, taking the two wickets of Parker and Murphy, as the Lions slumped to 6-94. Needing a decent total to defend, captain Chris Hansberry and Kiran Prashanth provided some form of resistance to the visitors, adding 40 runs to the total. However, at 7-134, Corry Verco helped Crudeli tear through the tail, bowling the Lions out for a lowly 160 runs. Crudeli was outstanding for Midland Guildford, finishing the day with brilliant figures of 6-28. Midland Guildford’s response was swift and effortless, something which it has lacked throughout the season. James Kirwan got the ball rolling for Midland Guildford. He and Keaton Critchell helped push the total to 64 before Austin Thomas took over from Kirwan. At 3-64, Thomas and Critchell dispatched the ball around the ground with ease, putting on a sensational 97-run partnership to secure a well-deserved seven-wicket victory for Midland Guildford.

Claremont Nedlands 6-257 (Whiteaker 96no, Steel 41, Bailey 4-64) defeated South Perth 95 (Cartwright 27, D’Silva 17, David 3-20), Richardson Park 1

Claremont Nedlands have sent an ominous warning to the rest of the competition heading into finals, destroying third-placed South Perth by a whopping 162 runs. After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Tigers lost opening batsman Nicholas Hobson for a first ball duck. After quickly regrouping, Jacob Whiteaker took it upon himself to anchor the innings for the Tigers, scoring a 69-run partnership with Cameron Steel to drive the total to 70. Following Steel’s dismissal at 2-70, Tim David then entered the crease and instantly found his rhythm. David and Whiteaker added 76 runs during their terrific third wicket partnership, propelling the total to 3-146 as David was removed by Michael Bailey. Bailey quickly found his range with the ball, taking out Bradley hope shortly after as the Tigers sat comfortably on 4-162. A 45-run partnership to Joel Paris and Whiteaker boosted the total to 207. However, Bailey struck quickly once again, knocking over Paris and Chris Brabazon in quick succession, as the Tigers powered on to 6-220. With only a few overs left in the innings, James Allenby and Whiteaker added a further 37 runs to the total to end the innings on 6-257, as Whitaker finished four runs short of a century on 96 after a brilliant display of patient batting. Bailey was the standout bowler for South Perth, finishing with 4-64 from his nine overs. With top spot on the line, the Tigers’ imposing total seemed to draw uncharacteristic errors from South Perth’s opening batsmen, as Hugh Brown and Trent Ovens departed early. At 2-8, Darius D’Silva and Brooke Guest added 32 runs during their third-wicket partnership, seemingly putting the innings back on track for South Perth. However, at 3-46 following D’Silva’s dismissal, South Perth found itself on the brink of a monumental batting collapse. The Tigers ripped through South Perth’s middle order and tail in record time, taking the final seven wickets in the space of 49 runs. Tim David was the catalyst for the Tigers, taking three early wickets, while Joel Paris, Thomas May and Daniel Turkich all chimed in with two wickets apiece as South Perth were bowled out for a paltry 95.

Willetton 9-189(cc) (Godfrey 63no, Biss 24, Richards 3-31) defeated University 165 (Balkwill 28, Moore 27, Hanna 3-34), Burrendah Reserve 1

Willetton has locked away second spot on the ladder, defeating University by 24 runs. After winning the toss and electing to bat, Willetton forced its way to 2-55 after a 35-run partnership from Stuart Biss and Sean Brennan. The Dragons then found themselves under heavy fire from University’s bowlers, as a middle order collapse saw Willetton lose four wickets in the space of 32 runs. However, at 6-87, Willetton rallied through Brennan Wilson and James Godfrey, with the pair putting on 34 runs during their seventh-wicket partnership. At 7-121, Mitchell Drennan and Will Bosisto took three quick wickets to have Willetton on the ropes at 9-165. Godfrey, however, continued to frustrate University’s bowlers, as he and Aaron McCall added 24 runs, pushing the total to 9-189 at the end of the 50 overs. University responded well initially, with a 36-run opening partnership to Jay O’Brien and Sean Stuart. However, McCall knocked over both openers as University lost five wickets in the space of 46 runs, slumping to 5-82. A hard-fought 52-run sixth-wicket partnership from Daniel Moore and Tom Balkwill looked to put University back in the match, as Moore was dismissed for 27 at 6-134. Balkwill continued to make the best of a dire situation, boosting the score to 149 before being dismissed for 28, leaving University with 40 runs to chase down and only three wickets left in hand. The equation proved too difficult for University, as Matt Hanna and Simon Mackin wrapped up the tail, securing the win by bowling University out for 165.