Group A

Midland-Guildford 8-136(cc) (Cobley 34, Cohen 28, Lutter 2-22) defeated by Gosnells 5-139 (Roberts 36, Green 30, Alderson 3-19), Lilac Hill

Gosnells has snuck home by five-wickets against Midland-Guildford, hitting the winning runs with three balls to spare in a close encounter.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Black Swans struggled to find runs early in the innings, falling to 3-41 as Chris Prescott set the tone for Gosnells with the ball.

However, Andrew McBrine and Hayden Cobley gave Midland-Guildford a much-needed boost, producing a 29-run partnership.

That first solid partnership seemed to put the Black Swans back on track, where, at 4-70, Shaun Cohen joined Cobley at the crease to push the total beyond the 100 mark.

The prolific pair put on a fifth-wicket partnership worth 41 runs, which boosted the total to 111 before Cohen was dismissed.

Gosnells bowlers then hit a purple patch with the ball, claiming the next three wickets for seven runs, knocking the Black Swans back down to Earth at 8-118.

Corry Verco and James Kirwan managed to navigate through the final overs, pushing the total to 8-136 to give the Black Swans a defendable total.

With the target set, Gosnells responded impressively through openers Ben Green and David Roberts.

The pair belted a quick-fire 52-run partnership to open the innings, taking off over a third of the runs needed to chase down the total.

The loss of Roberts at 1-52 brought in captain Matthew Leipold, who quickly found his groove. Leipold and Green continued on in the same vein, adding a further 44 runs to the total.

However, Tom Alderson struck back hard for Midland-Guildford, taking three quick wickets to cast doubt in the minds of Gosnells’ batsmen.

With the match heating up, Brodee Foster and Damien Sweet combined at the crease, scoring 28 runs as the elusive victory edged closer.

With three balls remaining, Sweet and Michael Dawson managed to hit the winning runs, securing the five-wicket victory and Gosnells’ first for the T20 season.

Scarborough 2-119 (Hardy 60no, Boyle 54, Ardagh 1-18) defeated Wanneroo 7-117(cc) (Slodecki 44, Richards 21, Knight 2-19), Abbett Park

Scarborough has comprehensively outplayed Wanneroo, defeating last season’s premiers by eight wickets following a brilliant batting performance.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Roos found themselves under immediate pressure, losing Stuart Thompson and Christian Smith early at 2-24.

A small 27-run partnership from Robert Richards and Haydn Slodecki pushed the total to 51, before Richards was clean bowled by Cody Rose.

Rose struck again moments later, as did Nicholas Maiolo, as the Roos crumbled under the immense pressure from Scarborough, falling to 5-60.

However, after avoiding the carnage, Slodecki managed to find a partner in Chad Hitchcock, boosting the total to 96 before being removed for 44.

Hitchcock was removed moments later at 7-99, as the Gulls restricted the Roos to a miserly 7-117 from the 20 overs.

Slodecki did the damage with the bat, scoring 44 from 41, while Ryan Knight, Andrew Tye and Rose combined for six wickets.

With a small target to chase down, Scarborough would have been sweating bullets after losing Maiolo on the very first ball of the innings.

However, Lochie Hardy and Jeremy Boyle navigated through the first few tricky overs to produce a stunning fightback.

The pair put on a blistering 106-run second-wicket partnership to blow the Roos out of the water and effectively end the match.

Although Boyle was removed for 54 at 2-106, the damage had been done, as Boyle and Edward Barnard hit the winning runs in the 16th over.

Hardy finished with an unbeaten 60 runs from 47 balls, belting nine fours along the way, as Wanneroo’s bowlers had no answers for the brutal onslaught.
Wanneroo’s second loss in a row leaves the club with a huge task to make finals and defend its crown.

Group B

Willetton 3-157 (Bancroft 46, Rhodes 43no, Mulder 2-25) defeated by South Perth 5-160 (Banton 78, Chellew 28no, Rhodes 2-31), Burrendah Park.

South Perth has clinched victory from the jaws of defeat, with captain Chris Chellew hitting a four on the final ball of the match to secure a thrilling five-wicket win over Willetton.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, Willetton immediately lost opener Stuart Biss in the first over for four runs.

At 1-5, Cameron Bancroft and Aaron Hardie set about resurrecting the innings, producing a 43-run second-wicket stand.

The loss of Hardie at 2-48 seemed to inspire Bancroft to greater heights, as he teamed up with Will Rhodes to boost the total towards 100.

Jacob Mulder finally got the breakthrough for South Perth, bamboozling Bancroft into playing and missing, before being stumped by Brooke Guest after scoring 46 runs.

At 3-99, Rhodes took over the anchoring role left by Bancroft, combining beautifully with Kallen Bond.

The pair saw out the rest of the innings, adding 58 runs to the total during their fourth-wicket partnership as Willetton finished with a more than handy total of 3-157.

With a significant target to chase down, South Perth’s openers immediately got to work, with Braydon Meuleman and Tom Banton opening the innings with a 44-run partnership.

The loss of Meuleman at 1-44 did little to slow Banton down, as he partnered with Hilton Cartwright to blast the total beyond 100.

The explosive pair put on a brutal 72-run partnership, boosting the score to 116 before Cartwright was dismissed by Rhodes for 25.

Banton fell just moments later after a tremendous knock of 78 from 51 deliveries, which included six fours and five sixes.

Darius D’Silva only lasted two balls, as he was dismissed for a duck and the match tightened up with South Perth seemingly struggling at 4-121.

With the game on the line, captain Chris Chellew came to the crease to add some much-needed calm and poise to a chaotic situation.

Chellew found a handy ally in Brooke Guest, nudging the total along to 143 before Guest was dismissed.

With the run rate creeping up and the overs ticking down, one final play was needed to win the game for either side.

Down by one run with one ball remaining, Chellew crunched a four to seal a memorable five-wicket victory for South Perth.

Joondalup 3-125 (J.Morgan 66no, Inglis 26, Simpson 1-19) defeated Claremont-Nedlands 9-123(cc) (Kelly 37, Morton 31, Oakley 3-29), Iluka Sports Complex.

Joondalup has taken top spot of the Group B division after a stirring seven-wicket win over Claremont-Nedlands.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Tigers found themselves under serious heat from Joondalup’s bowlers, crumbling to 5-39 with Harry Larmett taking two of the first five wickets.

The Tigers, in desperate need of a partnership, finally found one in the form of Matthew Kelly and Jackson Edmondstone.

The pair put on a hard-fought 50-run sixth-wicket partnership, boosting the total to 89 before Edmonstone was removed.

Kelly fell moments later for 37, becoming Blair Oakley’s second victim of the day.

At 7-92, the Tigers found themselves in the unusual position of hunting rather than being the hunted, as the tail managed to scrape through to 9-123 at the end of the 20 overs.

Oakley was tremendous with the ball for Joondalup, taking 3-29 from his four overs.

With a small total to chase down, Joondalup got off to a shaky start, losing 3-39, as the Tigers attempted to save the match.

However, Jaron Morgan and Jake Zsilinszky exploded with the bat, destroying the Tigers bowling attack and producing a match-winning 86-run partnership.

The Tigers had no answers to the onslaught from the pair, as the Centurions cruised to the finish line with three overs to spare.

Morgan ended the day with a superb 66 from 46 deliveries, which included four fours and five sixes.

Group C

Bayswater-Morley 9-137 (M.Todd 62, Berry 32, Kandiah 3-20) defeated by Mount Lawley 6-147(cc) (Klinger 44, Marciano 31no, M.Todd 1-17), Hillcrest Park.

Mount Lawley has won a gripping contest against Bayswater-Morley by 10 runs on Saturday at Hillcrest Park.

After being sent in to bat, the Hawks lost opener James Newnham cheaply at 1-16 to be immediately under pressure.

However, that pressure was immediately relieved through Michael Klinger and Ethan Petta producing a brilliant 64-run partnership, swinging the match back in the Hawks’ favour.

Although the Hawks appeared to be cruising, the loss of Petta at 2-80 sparked somewhat of a collapse, as the Hawks fell to 5-128.

The middle to late order of the Hawks managed to navigate the tricky final overs of the innings, scraping home to finish with 6-147.

Klinger did the damage with the bat for the Hawks, scoring a measured 44 runs from 48 balls.

With an awkward total to chase down, the Bears found themselves under instant pressure, losing openers Grant Thistle and Aaron Todd to be struggling at 2-20.

However, Mitchell Todd and Robert Guy set about fixing the innings, producing a hard-fought 47-run partnership before Guy was dismissed for 16.

The loss of Guy did not impede Todd at all, as he found a new partner in Lane Berry to edge closer to the finish line.

The pair constructed a terrific 51-run partnership, firmly putting the match in the Bears’ favour.

However, the loss of Todd for 62 at 4-118 sparked a terrible batting collapse, as the Bears lost five wickets for 18 runs, crumbling to 9-136.

The Bears could only muster one more run for the innings, falling 10 runs short of the Hawks’ total.

Justin Kandiah and Ethan Petta were superb with the ball, combining to take five wickets, as the Hawks moved to second on the Group C division ladder.

Perth 9-128 (Scollay 32, Curtis 19, Kerr-Sheppard) defeated by Melville 4-167(cc) (Hay 80no, Towers 35, Van Galen 3-20), Fletcher Park

Melville has won its second match in a row, defeating Perth by 39 runs and in turn, handing the Demons their second loss in a row.

After being sent in to bat, veteran batsman Luke Towers got the Storm off to a great start, scoring 35 runs, before three quick wickets to Demons saw Melville fall to 3-53.

However, Drew Porter then joined Fraser Hay at the crease and proceeded to blast the Demons’ bowlers out of the water.

The prolific pair put on a sensational fourth-wicket partnership worth 89-runs, blowing the match wide open.

Jacob Van Galen eventually got the breakthrough, removing Porter at 4-142 to take his third wicket.

Hay continued on his merry way, dispatching the ball to the rope and over with ease.

With time the enemy, Hay pushed the total to 4-167 at the end of the 20 overs, finishing with an unbeaten knock of 80 runs from 56 balls, which included seven fours and three sixes.

With a lofty total to chase down, Perth got off to a decent enough start, with Jordan Mast and Tom Scollay opening the innings with a 30-run partnership.

However, Melville’s bowlers seemed to find their rhythm all at once, as Perth suffered a tremendous batting collapse, losing six wickets in the space of 37 runs to crumble to 6-67.

A small 25-run partnership between Joel Curtis and Jack Baker looked to give Perth a small shot at making a comeback, before Tom Kerr-Sheppard dismissed Curtis to take his third wicket at 8-101.

Kerr-Sheppard struck again soon after, removing Baker to take his fourth wicket and snuffing out any chance of a Perth comeback.

Liam Guthrie and Kyle Gardiner managed to avoid losing their wicket, but could not reel in the huge deficit, as Melville walked away with a comfortable 39-run victory.

Group D

University 3-230(cc) (Bosisto 111, Jacks 77, Behrendorff 2-54) defeated Subiaco-Floreat 164 (Lane 37, Lilly 19, Bosisto 3-35), Stevens Reserve

University has notched its first T20 win of the season in emphatic style, scoring a whopping 230 to defeat Subiaco-Floreat by 66 runs, with Will Bosisto posting a magnificent century.

The decision to send University in to bat turned out to be a horrendous one, with openers Bosisto and Will Jacks exploding out of the blocks.

The dynamic duo were absolutely unstoppable, hitting boundaries and clearing the rope at will.

Although the Lions boasted a top end Scorchers pace attack with Nathan Coulter-Nile, Jason Behrendorff and David Willey, they had no answers to the Bosisto and Jacks show.

The prolific pair’s first-wicket partnership finally came to an end after 193 runs, in one of the best partnerships in recent memory.

Jacks eventually lost his wicket after 77 runs from 45 balls, with eight fours and four sixes coming from his blade.

Following the loss of Jacks at 1-193, Bosisto’s incredible innings came to an end moments later, with the powerful batsman producing one of the knocks of the summer, scoring 111 from 64 balls, with eight fours and six sixes.

Behrendorff took the prize wicket of Bosisto, before following up with a cracking delivery to remove Chris Sabburg.

University eventually finished with a jaw dropping score of 3-230, leaving the Lions with a mountain to climb for victory.

The Lions struggled for momentum early, losing power trio Willey, Callum How and Coulter-Nile to be struggling at 3-33.

A fightback from Cameron Green and Aaron Lilly put the Lions back in the match, with the pair producing a 33-run fourth-wicket partnership.

However, University’s bowlers struck back hard and fast, taking four wickets in the space of 16 runs, restricting the Lions to 7-82.

A late innings partnership worth 41 runs to Chris Hansberry and David Lane gave the Lions a small hope at pulling off a major upset, but the damage was done early, with Sabburg taking his third wicket of the day with the removal of Hansberry at 8-123.

Bosisto wrapped up the tail, finishing the day with 3-35 as the Lions were bowled out for 164, falling 64 runs short of University’s monstrous total.

Fremantle 3-152(cc) (Whiteman 43, Carder 40, France 3-28) defeated Rockingham-Mandurah 3-147(cc) Bracey 70, Ugle 63no, Richardson 2-23), Stevens Reserve

Fremantle has notched its first win of the T20 season, chasing down Rockingham-Mandurah’s 147 to run out seven-wicket winners.

After being sent in to bat, the Mariners were in all sorts of trouble early, losing openers Brandon Jacobs and Vincent Poller to be on the ropes at 2-15.

However, James Bracey and Dane Ugle took it up themselves to turn the match around and put it squarely in the hands of the Mariners.

The pair produced a masterful display of batting, on their way to a huge 127-run third-wicket partnership.

Fremantle’s bowlers had no answers to the batting brutality, with the pair boosting the total to 142 before Bracey was dismissed for 70.

Bracey’s brilliant knock of 70 from 46 balls included three fours and four sixes, while Ugle finished the day unbeaten on 63, as the Mariners ended the innings on 3-147.

Fremantle responded with a measured run chase, with Sam Whiteman and Jake Carder opening the innings with a solid 53-run partnership.

The loss of Whiteman for 43 at 1-53 did nothing to slow Carder down, as he partnered up with explosive Perth Scorchers batsman Mitchell Marsh, to boost the total beyond 100.

Although Marsh was eventually removed for 24 at 2-107 with Carder following one run later, the damage had been done early in the run chase, with Ashton Turner and Thomas Abell hitting the winning runs in the 18th over as Fremantle cruised to a seven-wicket win.

Fremantle 4-173(cc) (Whiteman 58, Carder 53, Sabburg 2-39) defeated University 5-170(cc) (Bosisto 83, Jacks 25, Marsh 2-36), Stevens Reserve

Fremantle has won a high scoring affair against University by six wickets in its second match on Saturday at Stevens Reserve.

After being sent in to bat, University got off to a solid start through openers Will Bosisto and Will Jacks.

The pair opened the innings with a 31-run partnership, before Jacks was trapped in front by Mitch Marsh.

Ashton Agar came and went soon after, as Bosisto found himself anchoring the innings once again.

At 2-59, Chris Sabburg came to the crease and formed a fantastic third-wicket partnership with Bosisto.

The pair produced a hard-hitting 54-run stand, boosting the total to 3-113 at the loss of Sabburg.

Bosisto continued to blast the ball to all parts of the ground, before eventually coming unstuck on 83 runs.

Matthew Birrell and Daniel Moore pushed through the final overs, helping university to a huge score of 5-170.

With a lofty target to chase down, Fremantle made a lightning-quick start to the run chase through Sam Whiteman and Jake Carder.

The powerful pair demoralised University’s bowlers, constructing a sensational 113-run opening partnership to bust the match wide open.

However, with plenty of fight left in them, the University bowlers fought back hard, taking four wickets in the space of 33 runs, putting the match back on an even keel.

With the match on the line, Thomas Abell and Chris Davenport came to the rescue for Fremantle, scoring a 27-run partnership and notching the winnings runs with four balls to spare.

Whiteman and Carder were instrumental in the win for Fremantle, scoring 58 and 53 runs respectively.

Rockingham-Mandurah 96 (France 25, Austen 20, Willey 4-22) defeated by Subiaco-Floreat 7-193(cc) (Lane 38, Behrendorff 35, Robertson 2-24), Stevens Reserve

Subiaco-Floreat has handed Rockingham-Mandurah a comprehensive defeat to the tune of 97 runs, following a brilliant all-round performance.

After winning the toss and electing to bat, the Lions opened the innings with a bang through Callum How and David Willey.

The big-hitting duo crunched a 60-run opening stand, before Willey was removed for 31.

The Mariners managed to work their way back into the match, taking four wickets in the space of 39 runs to even the match up at 4-99.

However, Cameron Green and unlikely run-scorer Jason Behrendorff belted a 40-partnership, swinging the momentum back in the Lions’ favour.

With the bat feeling comfortable in his hands, Behrendorff found himself anchoring the back end of the innings, combining with Tim Monteleone and Geremy Fatouros to boost the total to 7-193 at the end of the innings.

Behrendorff finished with a handy 35 runs from 16 balls, with two fours and two sixes coming from his blade.

With a huge total to chase down, the Mariners could not have suffered a worse start to the run chase.

Rockingham-Mandurah lost seven wickets for 29 runs in a shocking opening to the innings.

Willey and Behrendorff ripped through the Mariners’ batting line up, snaring four and three wickets respectively.

A small 39-run partnership to Tyler Robertson and Adam France looked to add some respectability to the scoreboard, pushing the total to 7-68, before Chris Hansberry got in on the action, removing France for 25.

The final two wickets fell in quick succession, with the Mariners falling short by 97 runs, bowled out for 96.